Sunday, November 04, 2007

Shaved Head Spirituality

I want to share with you a passage from Brennan Manning’s The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus quoted from Paul Tillich that jumped out to me this past week.

Sometimes at that moment a wave of light breaks into our darkness and it is as though a voice were saying: “You are accepted. You are accepted by that which is greater than you….Do not seek for anything; do not perform for anything; do not intend anything. Simply accept the fact that you are accepted.”
If that happens to us, we experience grace. After such an experience we may not be better than before, and we may not believe more than before. But everything is transformed.

As I think about my decision to shave my head, I am amazed. What may seem like a momentary lapse in judgment, has opened my eyes to many new things. God's grace is alive in my life--accepting me as I am.

2 comments:

Rev. Debra Jene Collum said...

I enjoy reading Brennan Mannings writings. That is a wonderful quote from him.
The other ways of using your hairless head for school events was brilliant.
You do look like a monk in the photo on the last blog.

Todd said...

Uhm, are you saying that a shaved head is a bad thing? A 'lapse in judgement?' When God looks down He wants to see His glory reflected. Some of us are uniquely outfitted for this task! =]