Monday, May 24, 2010

Stockpiles of Love

Lamentations 3:31-33

Why? Because the Master won't ever
walk out and fail to return.
If he works severely, he also works tenderly.
His stockpiles of loyal love are immense.
He takes no pleasure in making life hard,
in throwing roadblocks in the way:

I love this picture I had as I read this passage...of God sitting in front of this mound of love and gifts that he could give his children that would be examples of his love for them. I picture him with a huge smile on his face, stretching from ear to ear, turning to this pile and hand-picking a gift to present his daughter or son, knowing that it will bring great joy. What an amazing thought...that God turns to his never-ending stockpiles of loyal love to shower us with gifts of love.

And how I've sometimes responded...choosing not to accept a gift, ignoring it because I feel there are better things that demand my attention at the moment. I've sometimes allowed it to sit gathering dust in the corner until it's become ancient history and forgotten. Or I've opened the gift and marveled over it in amazement, studying the intricacies and wondering at the originality all the while forgetting to turn back to the One who carefully chose that gift for me.

How that must pain God when I fail to recognize his vast gifts of loyal love, when I find other things to occupy my mind and time. Ouch. Father, please forgive me.

No comments: