Friday, April 22, 2011

Casa Dulce Casa

Home Sweet Home
Riding the 34 tram home from the store this evening I saw a store with that name. It caused me to stop and think about home. Right now, there are so many different places to call home. Romania, Prague, Hutchinson, Minneapolis, Prior Lake, and Crystal all feel like home.

I'm back in my apartment in Bucharest and it's starting to feel like home again. Though in the back of my mind, I'm really aware that it's only temporary. In six weeks I'll be moving out of my apartment. Along with that awaeness comes the reminder that I don't know where I'll be living in two months. I don't know where I'll be working. I don't know what kind of car I'll be driving. I don't know...

That feels really scary. I want to have a home that feels welcoming and refreshing. I dream of the comfort of not living in the midst of unkowns. For many years, I got pretty good at ignoring what was happening within my heart. I didn't pay attention to the desires deep in my heart. It would be easy for me to try and convince myself that the desire for a home isn't one God would want me to have, but I don't think that's truth. I believe that this desire is an echo of the desire for an eternal home, for the home of a perfect environment like Eden. I believe parts of it will be fulfilled here on earth and other parts will need to wait until eternity. The desire is there and I'm choosing to recognize it and wrestle with it.

No comments: