Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Praying Big

For two months I've been car shopping...off and on... This is the first time I've ever made this decision on my own. The only cars I've owned prior to this were ones I purchased from my parents. So, I find myself in a unique position at 31 as I search for a car. At the beginning of this process, my expectations were high - I'd find a car I'd love to drive and it would last for years and years. Not knowing my preferences, I started looking for 4 door cars. The playing field narrowed as I started figuring out a bit more about what I like/dislike in cars. I'm just not a fan of the Dodge Stratus or VW Jetta. I feel like I finally have a few makes/models that I would buy and now it's just waiting to find the 'right' car. I spent Friday searching online only to learn some of the cars were already sold. I drove to a dealer Mon after school and learned the car I wanted to look at sold just that morning. It left me feeling discouraged and defeated last night. I thought this was going to be an exciting process and instead it's turning into the opposite. I'm ready to buy the first car I see and be done with this process...probably not the best place to be.

I realized last night at small group that like many things in life I didn't choose to 'bother' God with the details of this car search. I haven't asked about the amount of money I'm thinking about spending or asked that he would provide for this need of mine. So, this morning I'm starting with a new attitude...praying that God would provide a car for me in the next week. I'm asking for a red Pontiac G6 with 3.5 L V6 engine with low miles under $10,000. That's my hope. That's what it means to pray big in this area of my life right now. And it's scary to put it out there...

I was thinking back to my time in Romania and looking for an apartment 6 years ago. I had a list of criteria--things I wanted in my 'dream apartment' and God graciously provided an apartment that was all that I hoped and more. It was a haven and a place of peace for 4 years. Do I really believe that God cares about the seemingly 'unspiritual' or 'insignificant' details of my life or am I content to try and figure everything out on my own?

No comments: