Saturday, November 05, 2011

The Pledge of Allegiance

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all.

Like most schools, most days at my school begin with standing, facing the flag, and reciting the pledge. I look around at the students who are mumbling words, fidgeting, many doing anything but saying the pledge. It bothers me, and some of that is because it mirrors what's happening in my heart each morning.

I don't remember being bothered by the pledge as a student, or even while teaching in Lakeville after graduating. It was a daily ritual to remind us of our allegiance to our country. And I guess I was okay with that.

In leading the pledge most mornings for my fifth graders, I've struggled with whether or not I really do pledge my allegiance to this country. I understand that the United States is a wonderful place to live and full of incredible opportunities. After living in a different country for seven years I returned to the US and find myself not completely enthralled with the US. Mornings find me going through the motions. Mouthing words that don't ring true in my heart or mind. I find that my heart longs for something better. I'd gladly pledge my allegiance to that place, to our heavenly kingdom and King.

No comments: