Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Way

Something I have been thinking about recently is how we generally like to find as many ways to do things as possible. I am not content to just accept one way set before me. I try to find a way that might be more efficient or less time-consuming. On my way to school, I consider whether there might be some other possible short cut that would make the trip faster. In fact, I found one just last week. There are certainly an infinite number of ways to get from my apartment to school. I haven't explored them all since some just don't make any sense at all.

Isn't that how we approach Christianity too? We try to find a faster, easier way than taking the Bible at face value-there is only one way. Why do we fight that so much? Why is it such a struggle to understand that there is only one way to heaven--"no one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6

So, since there is only one way, couldn't we put up detour signs directing others to The Way? Could we find ways to explain that some of the "ways" people are considering just don't make sense? There is only one way-are you taking it?

No comments: