Tuesday, November 21, 2006

It's All About Perspective

I had an interesting shift in perspective recently.

As I have been considering whether or not to extend my time in Romania, I had in mind the perspective of people in MN and the US that are impacted by my being here. I had a mental list of the people that were affected: friends, family, church, myself...

During a recent conversation, I had an interesting shift in perspective. For a number of different reasons, I have gotten some notes from students recently. Many of them have stated their appreciation for my being in Romania and teaching at BCA. I realized that at this point, my leaving Romania and BCA would affect a whole other group of people. That decision would bring me closer to friends and family in the US allowing me to participate in lives on that side of the world, and yet greatly affect the students and families that I have gotten to know here. Although I myself have been greatly affected by the departures of families, I hadn't ever thought through the implications of my own potential departure-that others would experience the same things that I have experienced on the departures of friends and colleagues.

It's all about your perspective...

No comments: