Saturday, June 13, 2009

Treasure Chest

Luke 2:19
But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.

I was thinking the other day about this verse...what Mary pondered and treasured. Was it the fact that others were coming to worship her son? Did she ponder how long the shepherds must have traveled in order to arrive in Bethlehem as her son was born? Was she in awe of the new life before her? Did it surprise her that so many people knew of her son? Was she suddenly aware of the ways God was working? Did the realization that the little baby in front of her was the Son of God cause her to pause and be still?

That got me thinking about the things the I've stored in my own 'mental treasure chest'...things that I ponder in the quiet moments.

Some of the things in my treasure chest are not things I'm proud of or would like to have there. Discouraging words or situations often stay in my mind or pop up in the stillness more than I would like. I sometimes wish the good moments of life or the successes would be the ones that came to mind first. I'm working at allowing God to renew my mind so I hear above all the other voices his voice of love.

Ephesians 3:18-19
...may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

There's another treasure chest I cherish. Both electronically and 'physically' I have notes and cards that many people have given me throughout many years. These are words of affirmation and encouragement that I turn to when I'm finding it hard to combat the discouraging thoughts. I'm amazed that God chooses to allow us to so greatly impact the lives of those around us. I hope that I've contributed to the encouragement of many--that my words can be life and hope-giving instead of discouraging. Perhaps they can be words that they can treasure.

Hebrews 10: 24, 25b
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds...but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

No comments: