Thursday, June 23, 2005

My Country Tis of Thee

As I sang this song tonight, it brought to mind many different images and thoughts. The first was a sense of confusion-which country is mine? Romania or the United States? Another thought came racing right after-is our country really free? If this song were to be written about Romania, how would it be changed.

In my mind, I also began to wrestle once again with the truth that neither country is truly my home. I will never be fully comfortable in either place. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as some may assume. In fact, it keeps me thinking about my true country-my true home-eternity in heaven. I wish I had the poetic ease to rewrite the lyrics to fit heaven-to adequately describe my eternal home/country. Praise God that this world is not our home!

No comments: