Friday, August 18, 2006

Rain

Hosea 6:3
"Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.

As I read this verse, I wondered why the mention of winter rain and spring rain. Isn't all rain the same? After some thinking, I thought about rain in the winter. Often the ground (at least in Minnesota) is covered with a mixture of snow and ice that has turned gray. The rain melts some of that bringing a brightening to the landscape and a cleanliness.

Often in the spring, there is a need for rain. Farmers are concerned about getting enough rain and everyone wants to see trees budding and green grass appearing. There is an almost desperation for rain.

That is all well and good, but how does that relate to my life? There are certainly times in my life when things have turned dark and gray-the snow has become dirtied and I need that winter rain to come and melt away the layers of grime preparing the way for springtime growth. There are other times when I crave time alone with God-I can't find enough time to soak in his presence and his word. I need the spring rain to water my soul and bring growth.

So maybe my thoughts will only make sense to me...

No comments: