Saturday, October 04, 2008

Fun!!

It all started with a Venn diagram. I know that's not really a 'real-life' way of discussing a book, but it is something we pull out in a classroom. I asked my 6th graders to compare the main character(s) from Julie of the Wolves. For those of you who have read the book, you know there is only one, but she has two names: Julie and Miyax. Each name is from a different time in her life. We started out adhering to the Venn diagram, and then it happened. One of the kids asked a question and we went down a rabbit trail about the character's life and how it compares to their lives as third culture kids...how they sometimes have different personalities based on which country they are living in. We talked a lot about which was better. They were asking questions of me which I directed back to them. I sat 'up front' amazed to be a part of such an amazing discussion. I served mostly as a moderator because they all had so many things to say. They were listening to each other, adding new ideas, and referencing specific parts of the book. What a joy as a teacher!!

No comments: