Saturday, October 25, 2008

love

At our small group meeting last weekend, the question came up, does God love everyone the same...

I try to give my students time to free write each day and sometimes I plan it so I can write with them instead of spending that time teaching one group or the other. So, this week, I took some time to ponder.

I've heard it said that although a parent might love each of their children, that love might be different toward each child. The needs of the child and the relationship that has been formed 'changes' the love. I can't speak from personal experience...

Each of us have different needs and a different relationship with our heavenly father. Our needs are different as are our personalities, hopes, and dreams.

I was thinking how this might connect with love languages as well. Since God is the one who formed us and knows us more deeply than we can even understand ourselves, it's neat to think that he would love us in the ways that mean the most to us individually. At any moment, he knows our greatest joys and the deepest hurts-those things that no one else can see.

I'm not trying to question God's love for any one person for I believe that God does love each of us, but I picture that looking different in each of our lives as we walk in relationship with him. Maybe as we get closer, we can better see how God loves us, our eyes being opened to new ways that he is at work or has been at work--like a deepening friendship when you learn to see and understand the other person better and the ways that they love you.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another thought provoking article!
I never really thought about God's love in this way! However, I think you are on to something here :).
I loved the part about the love language too, because God made us all to respond to love but not all the same way! Makes me think of the One body, many parts. We don't treat all parts the same, but all are important.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
Love,
Rhonda