Monday, February 02, 2009

Great Discussions!

While reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, I have enjoyed having some great conversations with my students. In a recent chapter, Papa and Cassie have a discussion about forgiveness and respect. This led to a lengthy discussion about whether God asks us to forget sins against us we have forgiven and whether God forgets our sins once they are confessed/forgiven.

Somewhere down the road, this led to talking up the last judgment and the following questions:
-When we are called to account for our lives, does that happen in a large group or individually?
-Are we held accountable for all of our sins or just the sins that we haven't confessed?

As we were talking about respect, we discussed the leaders and authority figures God has placed in our countries. One of my students asked this question: Does God bring a bad leader to a country because of its sin?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of these questions. :)

No comments: