Thursday, April 15, 2010

After 6+ Years

I recently found myself sifting through old emails...from the last 6 years since my arrival in Bucharest. It was a wonderful, encouraging trip down memory lane. I came across one email from someone I'd not been in contact with for at least 4 years. After reconnecting via facebook (where else) he asked what I've been up to and what I've been doing. I thought about the last 6+ years of my life and tried to summarize them...no easy task. I started thinking about all I've learned, done, seen, tried, etc. Even listing the different classes I've taught doesn't begin to scratch the surface of all the pieces of my life that have been affected during my time here.

There's a part of me that looks back in awe and amazement. When I first stepped off the plane in Bucharest on August 18, 2003 (or somewhere close to that), I never imagined that I'd still be in Romania right now. In high school and college, if you'd have asked me where I would be or what I'd be doing when I turned 30, this certainly wouldn't have been part of the picture I'd have described. My mind couldn't have conceived it...and yet I wouldn't change it, wouldn't give it up.

I'm so thankful for the journey God's brought me on...so thankful that God is faithful and is continuing to work in my life...so thankful for the hope of a future with Him...so thankful for the people who have impacted my life so deeply...thankful.

So often in the Bible we see God commanding His people to remember--who He is and what He's already done for them. It's easy for me to get caught up in the 'light and momentary trials' I face on a day to day basis and forget the many wonderful things God has done on my behalf. I want to remember...the joy of completing my first year of teaching here...the lessons learned from shaving my head...the blessing of simple pleasures...the amazing people who have touched my life...the way God brought me through challenges...remember.

No comments: