Saturday, November 27, 2010

Unclogging the Pipes

I've heard it said somewhere that the distance between my head and heart is only 18 inches.  An 18 inch journey.  So why does it seem so much longer?  Why is it so hard for information clearly known in the head to penetrate the heart?  Perhaps there's a clog somewhere.

Recently, the blower furnace where I'm living started to fill with water.  I figured the sound I heard wasn't normal.  I worked with my dad and brother to try and figure out the problem.  It turns out the problem wasn't within the furnace, but in the pipes once the condensate left the furnace.  Somewhere in the 40 feet of pipes between the furnace and the basement drain there was a clog. 

Because the pipes made many twists and turns at the top of the journey to the basement, we were unable to resolve the clog from the top, even with using draino.  The next step was creating a better access point from the basement which allowed us to insert a snake in the pipe and ultimately to resolve the issue.  Initially the water coming through the pipe was black, full of suspended crud and dragging along more solids.  We filled a spaghetti sauce jar with the sediment from the pipes.  Icky black stuff that clearly wasn't good for the health of the pipes.

I think the same thing often happens in our lives.  There's so much we know floating around in our heads that doesn't get down and impact our hearts.  We know the truth, but we struggle with accepting it and allowing that truth to transform our lives.  It leads me to conclude that I need some serious plumbing help.  I need to cry out to God asking that he clean out the path between my head and heart allowing his truth to pentrate my heart and radically affect my life.  Perhaps there are lies deeply embedded that need to be uprooted or sin that needs to be confessed and forgiven.  I'm sure my heavenly Father is excited to get started.

No comments: