Sunday, August 07, 2005

How Not to Be a Lutheran

So, in my best attempt to be a Lutheran, I decided to participate in communion the last Sunday I was in Hutchinson. As the ushered up the front rows, I asked my sister to explain what the proper procedure was in this church, I figured I was "ready". It was pretty simple really: You go up, grab a cup, kneel and then the elements are served to you. I didn't think to ask about what to do if there isn't any room to kneel. Why would I need to know that?

Everything went as planned until I went to kneel and there was no room at the end of the row. The one thing I hadn't counted on.

Not knowing what to do, I knelt in the middle where there was room. The bread had already gone by. An observant pastor caught that and brought me a “wafer”. So, needless to say, I was supposed to start a new “row” when that one was served, but in the midst of the moment, I didn’t know what to do.

After church, we had a good laugh! I can only imagine that a few other people did as well!

No comments: