Thursday, August 07, 2008

Travel Tips

I have been traveling internationally since I was 3 or 4. Things have certainly changed during the past twenty plus years:) It used to be that you could expect to have empty seats around you, but it seems that is not longer the case. On my recent trip back to Bucharest I was thinking about all the things I've learned while traveling... I'm sharing my 'wisdom' with all of you:)

--My dad once told me after we were served a meal of lamb on our flight to Africa. Eat it, you never know what your next meal will be. True. In most cases, I don't worry about that so much anymore and seem to turn down many meals. The desserts and crackers aren't too bad and I tend to prefer the vegetarian options.

--Our family once went gung-ho with jet lag diets. I have since left most of that by the wayside, but I still adhere to some of the tips.
  • Drink lots of water--a flight attendant recently told me the humidty is less than 10%. I aimed for two liters.
  • Sleep--as much as possible while traveling, being mindful of the timezone where you are heading
  • Avoid caffeine

--Some of my 'pet peeves' of international air travel

  • People walking around barefoot--it's just gross. Put some shoes on or at least socks.
  • Karoke--no joke, the guy in front of me was singing along with the inflight entertainment--don't!!
  • Standing in the aisles so the carts/flight attendants can't get through--they have enough of a hard time without needing to go through an obstacle course
  • Leaving the shades open--it's much easier to sleept without the sun shining in

--Plan to be cold, or hot, or both--layers are good

--Don't sit through an 8 hour flight without moving! It's not good!!

--If you really want to be able to sleep, bring along ear plugs and an eye mask. I've used blankets or sweatshirts over me head sometimes too.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. Soon to come...packing...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And get all that you can out of your weight limit! (Although not so much an issue anymore.)

Use the carry-on, computer bag, 1 personal item rule to your benefit. But also pack your carry-on so that stuff you want to use in-flight is accessible.

Board early if you need overhead space, but otherwise, wait for the last call- you'll be on the plane for long enough as it is.

Take the little bottles of wine to use for cooking.

Aim for exit row seating.