Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Amazed

Just a couple things to share with you about why the greatest kids are at BCA...

This year, we (elementary teachers) decided to do a Fall Program instead of tackling a Christmas program. We decided to let each grade level pick what they wanted to do and give freedom in hopes of variety. My kids split into two groups. One group decided to sing "Love in Any Language" and learn sign language for the chorus. (During a how-to speech earlier in the year one student had demonstrated that.) The other group decided to do a skit.

As I sat with the group working on the skit, I tried to encourage their creativity while at the same time trying to steer them toward a workable option that wasn't about pilgrims and Indians. They came up with the neatest skit! It is a bit hard to describe, but the 'message' is that we all need to work together.

We performed the program during secondary chapel today and it was wonderful to see each child participate--singing songs (some in Romanian), reciting Bible verses, reading poems, etc. Wow!!

The second thing made my day today! One of our 4th graders was asking her dad (the 4th grade teacher) what she could do during our staff meeting. I was passing by and jumped in with a list of ideas (something else my mom is good at): read a book, draw a picture, do homework, or write me a letter. She ran off and we had our meeting.

After we finished, I was talking to our maintenance man in the courtyard, she ran up to me and handed me a decorated card. I'm going to share the contents because they made me smile and laugh at the end of a long day (long three days really). I hope it's a smile for you too.

Front cover: You'r a Great Teacher Mss Westrum!

Inside: Dear Mss. Westrum,
You are a great teaher. Even though you are not my teacher. You are kind, gental, caring and you allways have a smile on you'r face! I think you are one of the BEST teachers ever!!!

M-Master in teaching
S-Star smile
S-stray A students

W-Westrum is your last name
E-Encuraging
S-Sharful
T-Takes time doing things
R-Respectful
U-Unhappy sometimes
M-Master in loving her students!!


Wow!! What an encouragement to me:) I can't wait until tomorrow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it! Too cute! That's a treasure to keep for years to come.
Love you,
Rhonda

J mom said...

I love it when our kids share some appreciation - they have no idea just how far that goes for us as teachers! I pray all works out with the Visa and you can get back to life as usual. What a mess!

todd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
todd said...

...reposting as I accidentally deleted it all!

As the Daddy and the teacher... THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Have you located your "stray A students" yet? *grin* It was fun to read.

laura said...

Nope, no strays, but quite a few of them:)