Tuesday, January 27, 2009

EU changes

Signs of EU progress in Romania:

-All sorts of cables and lines coming down off telephone poles (only to be left draped over others or laying on the sidewalk...for months)

-Tram lines being redone to meet some new regulation

-"Earth friendly" shopping--it seems that there is an EU law requiring all plastic bags to be biodegradable and that stores charge patrons for those bags. So, the era of cloth bags has come to Romania. I find myself having to think twice before walking out the door to make sure I have bags enough to carry what I anticipate bringing home. And I miss the free garbage bags, but I'm thankful for the chance to do a small thing to help the environment.

1 comment:

J mom said...

Love the updates. I am so glad to hear that you are able to feel more on top of things right now. I would love your poppy seed recipe! I am horrible at remembering our reusable bags in the car - I get them only so far it seems. I would get charged for those extra bags a lot I'm afraid!