Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Complications

I was beginning to think that applying for residency was going to be one of the easiest things I have done in this country. It had really been simple--at least until Monday. I saw I had missed a call on my cell phone. Then, I got an email from a colleague that the immigration office was trying to reach me. I figured that since I'd only turned my papers in on Friday, this probably wasn't a good sign.

I called the office back and learned I was missing a paper. When I tried to ask again for the name of the paper I needed, apparently I asked "why?". The woman I was speaking with seemed to get frustrated and began an explanation that the law required it. I really wasn't trying to be difficult.

The paper I was missing (that nobody told me I needed even during the interview) was basically a background check--making sure I'm not here in Romania committing crimes. I had seen a number of police stations in Bucharest and wasn't sure where I needed to go. I headed to the one nearest my house.

I learned Monday that I needed to go get a 1 RON 'fiscal stamp' and pay a 10 RON fee. Both of these could be done at the post office. Once I had both parts, I could return to the office on Tues. The woman helping me at the post office was extremely gracious and kind as she explained how to fill out the form.

Tuesday afternoon I went to turn in my fees. In order to receive the 'background check' I had to fill out another form--always an adventure. Again, I was blessed that the woman who received my paperwork was kind and patient helping me find the information I needed. She asked me somewhere in the process how long I had been in Romania because my language was very good. What a boost!

So, now I wait 3 days and return to pick up the paper. Next week Monday I need to deliver it to the immigration office. They want it as soon as possible.

I'm hoping this really is the last piece of paper I need and that my application is now ready to be processed.

1 comment:

J mom said...

The plot continues... If they need someone to vouch for you I would be happy to tell them that you are NOT an ax murderer! Love you so much!