Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Worms?

I was so excited to see that nectarines were somewhat reasonably priced this week. I picked up three. They've been ripening on my counter and I had put them in my fridge a few days ago--I like my fruit cold:)

I pulled one out last night to have as a snack. I sliced it open and found a worm/bug/something in the middle by the pit. I couldn't bring myself to eat the rest of it, not know where its path started. I grabbed another one out of the fruit drawer. This time after slicing it open, there were two of the same 'worms' moving around. Again, this nectarine wound up in the garbage. Maybe someday I'll be able to dig out moving things and eat fruit.

As I made dinner tonight, I was thinking about how often our lives can be like those nectarines. On the outside it looks like everything is right and good. But, once someone takes a deeper look, it's clear that there are problems. Even though it might seem like just one 'little worm' the problem likely infects more than just the area that 'worm' touches.

I pray that God would be the light shining into the dark parts of my heart, bringing healing and growth and freedom from worms.

No comments: