Friday, July 17, 2009

Women of Faith

I am blessed to have a number of wonderful women of faith in my life. Women who live life dependent on God and seeking his will. I want to share about one particular group of women and the amazing influence they have had in my life.

Seven years ago, I was frustrated at not finding a teaching job, confused about what to do, and looking for an evening Bible study. I asked the coordinator at church about whether there were any options. The only studies for women were during the day--when I hoped I'd be working. So, I was a bit discouraged. I think only a short time later I learned that a group was going to start.

I attended this group with mixed feelings--not really sure what to expect being the youngest member and in a completely different life situation than the others. But, as I shared and listened, God knit our hearts together in an amazing way. At the end of that school year I was working full time and preparing to move to Romania to teach at Bucharest Christian Academy. They prayed with me and sent me off with their love--many of them choosing to support me through prayer and finances.

My expectations were low and I figured that after I'd been gone a few months they would forget about me and our paths would rarely cross. Instead, this amazing group of women continues to keep in close contact with me. They bless me each Christmas with a wonderful package full of fun things from home. Each summer I'm in MN we get together.

Just earlier this week we spent the evening together. I think I laughed more in that one evening than in the previous month. It was wonderful to sit with these amazing women of faith and hear about the work God is doing in their lives. One woman is trusting God as she goes back to school, sitting beside classmates years younger. Another is moving to a new townhouse in preparation for serving overseas. Many are living in the midst of struggles and loss, painful times, and yet you wouldn't guess that by the way they speak or act.

These women have become dear friends and coworkers, encouraging me and refreshing my spirit each time we're together or connect. I left the house that night with an amazing sense of God's presence and love for me shown through the lives of these special women. His care evidenced through their 'hands and feet'.

No comments: