Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Never Ending Tram Ride

Because of a Romanian national holiday on December 1st, we had Monday and Tuesday off this week as well. Because of the shortened week, I knew I'd need to spend some extra time at school to be ready for next week. As I left school Friday evening, I was thankful for my warm coat and gloves. I trudged down the street about 10 min to catch the tram. The first one came and it was packed so I decided to wait for another one, figuring it'd be coming soon. Two rounded the corner just a few minutes later. I passed up the first, hoping the second one would be emptier and I might end up with a seat. I was thankful for the seat and the warmth. Before arriving at the next stop, we came to a halt. I didn't really take much notice of it (I was reading a good book), until I realized we'd been sitting for some time and people were starting to walk to the front of the tram to get off. I decided to give it another five minutes (or until everyone else left the tram) and then make a decision. Five minutes later, we were still sitting in the same spot. I trekked to the front of the tram and exited, seeing 6 trams lined up in one direction and three coming on the opposite tracks. Blocking the path was an ambulance. I snapped the picture below (I know it's blurry...) just as the ambulance began to move. So instead of taking the metro or walking, I ran back across the street and got on a tram for the remainder of the trip home. Over an hour after leaving school, I walked through my front door thankful for a beautiful, warm apartment, safety, and a quiet evening ahead.

No comments: