Friday, November 27, 2009

Family Advent Celebration

Last fall, I found myself frustrated with the Harvest Party that's turned into tradition for BCA. It felt too rushed, frenzied, and like way too much work. I loved that families were together, except that with limited space it ended not working out quite so well, and what adult really wants to bob for apples, have their face painted, or color a fall picture. So, I was watching for other ideas for that Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving.

God provided the answer in the form of an advent celebration. My heart was for families to spend time together and to give families tools that perhaps they weren't familiar with that might help them in guiding their children spiritually. With those hopes in mind, I started brainstorming and researching. I landed on a simple event--time together with a story (one of my family's traditions) and some sharing followed by time spent with other families working on a couple different activities. Students made ornaments and cards and worked with their parents to create an advent calendar made of construction paper rings labeled with verses.

The afternoon went better than I could have anticipated. Rooms were filled with laughter, conversation, and Christmas music. I wandered between the rooms helping answer questions and interacting with parents who I don't often get a chance to talk with. I'm thankful for the staff that was willing to help and for families that were willing to try something new.

With the daughter of one of our elementary aides.

EuJin and her family working on their advent calendar.

Rose working to make her family's advent calendar.

Working together to make a 3D snowflake--no matter the ability of the child, they turn out great!


There were a couple options of style for cards families could make.
Some are visible in the picture below.


The afternoon ended with a couple families playing "6-square" in the courtyard of one of the buildings. The 4th-6th graders have adapted the game "4-square" to allow more people to play in the limited space they have.

No comments: