Sunday, August 01, 2010

My Sister

I've had the privilege of living with my sister and her family the past 6 weeks since I've arrived back in the US. They opened their home and guest bedroom to me and have welcomed me into their family activities. I've had the joy of helping with meals, playing with her daughters, changing diapers, taking walks, etc. It's been wonderful to build relationships with my nieces!

I've seen my sister balancing the needs of those around her. Deborah uses her energy to bless those in her family. She is a wonderful teacher for her children, gently helping them see how to do things differently or correct their errors. Deborah is open for exploration and learning by doing. Abigail is often on the counter 'helping' with cooking even though that adds a layer of difficulty. The kids tag along to the garden to help weed/plant. Both girls helped weed the play area in their backyard. (Abigail was a bit more intentional about her help. Ellinor was looking for something to put in her mouth.) My sister desires that her children grow and learn. Right now Ellinor is teething and Abigail is toilet-training. This makes for interesting and sometimes long days. Deborah blesses her children by continuing to respond to them patiently and lovingly.

Having the great privilege of living with this family means I see much of what happens. I don't mean to put my sister on a pedestal. There are certainly days that challenge her and push her harder than she would like. But, it's been a great blessing to live beside her and I bless her for her ministry to her family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.