Saturday, August 21, 2010

Stuck

I spent the past two weeks in Idaho for my first graduate level class.  Knowing I had a weekend in between the two weeks, I started looking for activites to do.  About the only thing that jumped off the page was white water rafting.  It looked fun on one hand and also very daunting! 

I put off calling to make a reservation until Saturday morning.  I had hoped to be able to take a 1/2 day trip that would travel through class 2 and 3 rapids.  That trip was full, but the woman offered the option of joining a trip covering a different section of the river with class 3 and 4 rapids.  I reluctantly agreed wondering what I was getting myself into.

I arrived at the headquarters, signed my waiver, got my gear (helmet--wasn't expecting that one, lifejacket, paddle), and sat down for the safety explanation. We split up into two boats and started down the river, using the calm part of the river (first 2 miles or so) to learn about coordinating paddling and working together. We entered the section with rapids. It was a blast and a great adrenaline rush as we plunged through the rapids, barely scraping past some rocks and have waves rush over us.

As we got to the end, the guide asked whether I enjoyed the trip.  After hearing that I did, he mentioned another trip with similar rapids the following day.  I didn't figure I would be able to swing that, but started thinking about coming back the afternoon after my final day of classes.

I called back late in the week hoping to find a slot to do the same section of river.  I ended up finding a spot with another company. 

We got on the river just after 2 on Friday afternoon.  The trip started out in a very similar fashion.  We passed through the first series of rapids.  At the beginning of the first class 4 rapids we came to, we hit a rock, spinning us slowly through the rapids--not exactly beautiful exection, but we ended the rapids just fine.

Down the river we went until we hit the final class 4 rapids of the day.  We hit a rough patch and one of the people in our raft got hurdled out of the raft.  Because the water was traveling so fast, he was swept through the entire rapids before being picked up.  The rest of us found ourselves 'stuck' on a rock, being heaved to and fro in the water--raft standing on its long side near flipping upside down before being pushed down by the next wave.  Our guide tried a bunch of maneuvers to get us unstuck as the other raft guide and kayaker with our group tried to offer guidance from the shore.  10 min later we were away from the spot enough to catch a rope and get pulled away.  All paddles but mine had been swept away which made the rest of a rapids section a bit more exciting as we all clung to the boat while our guide navigated the waters.  It wasn't an experience I'd like to necessarily repeat, but I wouldn't have a problem jumping into a raft for some more white water rafting (although right now my whole body aches from hanging on and being buffeted by the water).

Why tell the story?  There's part of my mind that seems to thrive on playing through the details instead of allowing sleep so it's nice to have it written out.  As I drove back to my hotel, I was thinking about my life and this year ahead.  In many ways, I think I've felt like I had to put my life on hold...waiting for the right circumstances to exist before experiencing new things, traveling, or whatever.  I don't need to be stuck!  There are plenty of adventures I can have right now, new things to try, and many things to learn.  I think some of those times, God will provide a friend to take along, and other times I think He'll call me to step out in faith on my own, trusting Him. It's fun to have discovered a new thing I can enjoy and it saddens me to think what I would have missed out on if I hadn't taken the risk of going alone and along for the ride.

1 comment:

J mom said...

Still have to share this with Jason - he wants to hear it all in person!