Saturday, May 07, 2005

Baby Hospital

I spent the morning at the hospital near my apartment. There are two rooms there with babies who have been abandoned by their parents. I can't imagine how anyone could leave their child in one of the hospitals in Romania-being so uncertain about what will happen. These babies haven't been named so we talk to them by their last names: Georgescu, Margu, Parvan.

I arrived at 11:30 expecting that the nurse would bring in bottles around 12. They are fed every three hours whether they are hungry or not. It was after 1:00 when I finally left and still there had been no bottles for these babies. I was alone in a room of seven infants. There were two swings in the room which helped occupy two while I alternated holding the others. Hold one until it stopped crying and then switch to the next one that started crying. It was heartbreaking to have to put babies down that so needed attention and food in order to comfort another.

As I held these babies, it was amazing to be able to offer words of hope "isus te iubeşte" (Jesus loves you) and to be able to talk with them in my limited Romanian and fluent English.

Father, may they know your love. Please watch over each of these children, your children. May you provide for their every need. May they know that they are not alone-for you are with them. Amen

No comments: