Monday, May 16, 2005

Come again?

I am not sure whether my parents would find it so comforting to know that at two different times today, I had some "interesting" conversations with men today.

The first was this morning at the beach. I was in Constanţa for a field retreat this weekend and I decided to take one last walk on the beach before heading back to pile on the bus for the "short" ride home. On my way back toward the hotel, a man walking in the opposite direction asked for the time. After responding in Romanian, he decided to pursue the conversation further-did I live in Constanţa, where did I live in Bucharest, why was I here, was I single, could we walk together? After repeatedly turning down his pleas to walk together I was able to convince him that I needed to be on a bus immediately. Thus ended the interlude.

After arriving back in Bucharest, some 3 hours later than planned, my roommate and I stopped at the grocery store before heading to our apartment. We were obviously conspicuous because of our luggage and "American" look. While standing in line waiting to check out, we were discussing details of the weekend. A friendly man in front of us proceeded to give us advice about taking taxis in Bucharest. After checking out and claiming our luggage, we stepped outside to see him waiting for us. He asked which hotel we lived in and was surprised to learn that we lived in Romania (he was from Denmark here on business). Apparently from this new information, he decided that we weren't helpless women about to be taken advantage of by any passing taxi driver. Who would have known?

No comments: