Saturday, May 14, 2005

Picking Rice

Last week, I decided to make chicken stir fry for dinner. I pulled the bag of rice out of the cupboard and proceeded to measure out the rice. As I was measuring the rice into the pan, I realized that there were small rocks throughout the rice. I proceeded to search through the entire pan of uncooked rice and remove all the small rocks and other foreign objects.

Later as I considered my actions, I thought about my life. I am so quick to accept only the "grains of rice" in my own life-those things that I think are nourishing for me and somewhat pleasing. I am quick to pick out or avoid those situations or experiences that would be like biting on a rock in the midst of a bite of rice. Whether it is a hard day at school or a difficult situation in a relationship, I am quick to "jump ship".

I recently read a book by John Piper entitled, "The Passion of Jesus Christ". In this book, Piper outlines fifty reasons why Jesus suffered and died. In one of these short chapters "To Obtain for Us All Things That are Good for Us", Piper states, "What then does it mean that because of Christ's death for us God will certainly with him graciously give us 'all things'? It means that he will give us all things that are good for us. All things that we really need in order to be conformed to the image of his Son (Romans 8:29). All things we need in order to attain everlasting joy."

Each situation is being used in my life to bring about God's plan and he will work it for good. Who am I to question what God uses in my life or to easily accept the "easy" situations and shrug off the ones that I find more frustrating or painful?

Later Piper continues, "God will meet every real need, including the ability to rejoice in suffering when many felt needs do not get met. God will meet every real need, including the need for grace to hunger when the felt need for food is not met. The suffering and death of Christ guarantee that God will give us all things that we need to do his will and to give him glory to attain everlasting joy."

Praise God that He is all that we need-for each and every situation. We can do all things through Him.

No comments: