Friday, May 20, 2005

Pieces

My heart broke today. It isn't the first time and I am sure it won't be the last time, but it was a bit unexpected. It started with the words, "Ms. Westrum, there's been an accident." I turned and one of my students was down on the grounds at the park where we were having our picnic lunch surrounded by students watching with concern. Even as I comforted her, I had no idea what had happened or what was the cause of the tears. Eventually, we were able to stand and walk toward a bench where she continued to cry. I was at a loss of how to help her. We started walking toward the church where we were going to practice for the spring concert. It was slow moving as I walked beside her holding her up and trying to support her as she hobbled along. The rest of the elementary swiftly passed us. I so wanted to be able to do anything to help her, to take away whatever was causing the pain.

I wonder sometimes if that isn't how God looks down on his children. He sees the pain that is in our lives, sometimes self "inflicted" and longs for us to tell him our hurts. I think he is also willing to walk beside us, supporting us while we hold onto our own pain.

When we arrived at the church, this young girl took some time in the bathroom and emerged with her pants legs rolled up, revealing wounded and bleeding knees. It was only when I could see what was causing the pain that I could do something. We found some bandaids and by the end of the day she seemed to be mostly recovered.

I am so thankful that God knows exactly what causes the pain in our lives, sometimes before we can identify what is causing it in our lives. He is our healer and comforter-even before I can "uncover" my hurts, he is working to bring about healing. Praise God!

No comments: