Friday, April 11, 2008

Hygiene

I never thought I would enjoy teaching about health as much as I have the past two weeks. Who would have thought that conversations about grooming and hygiene could have provided so many opportunities to laugh.

Earlier this week we looked at diagrams of the eye, ear, and teeth. We talked about ways to care for our eyes, ears, and teeth. Little did I know that some of my students had never flossed--or ever heard of floss.

Thanks to the generosity of my mother and grandmother, I had an overflowing stash of floss so I brought some to school today and we flossed as a class. I wish I had brought
my camera because it was pretty cute. Some of my students just couldn't get over the minty taste of the floss. One of my students had her arm wrapped around her head to try and get at her molars a little bit better. What fun memories! I was able to send floss home with some students that didn't have any. I can't say that I am an avid 'flosser' yet, but I'm learning. :)

I am hoping that I will be able to find some cow's eyes to dissect so we can better understand our eyes, but I am finding that a bit harder task than I imagined.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha! Funny story. I love those moments in class that you're just having fun together. It makes the tougher days all worth it.