Monday, April 21, 2008

It Would be Perfect

I decided to take a taxi to school today because I had a bunch of things to transport, I was running behind schedule, and my feet hurt. I walked down to the corner where taxis generally sit waiting. After directing the driver to the school's address and assuring him that I knew where the street was, we drove on in silence...for a bit. He asked where I was from and whether I enjoyed the music he had playing. He then commented on how well I was speaking Romanian and asked whether my husband was also living here in Romania or was still in the US. After explaining that I am still single because, well, that's just the way it is, he asked how old I was. He was excited to learn that I am 28 since his son is 27. It's perfect. He is a chef and makes good money. I wouldn't need to pay rent anymore since I could live with them. Wouldn't he (taxi driver) be a good father-in-law? This sort of conversation went on for a bit before it came out that his son doesn't speak English. I tried explaining that there are other things that are a bit more important in considering marriage than the age of two people (especially being able to communicate), but my Romanian just didn't get there in time. Needless to say it was an interesting ride to school :)

3 comments:

J mom said...

Your life makes me laugh. Who ends up talking to the cabi about marrying his kid?! Only in the would of my best friend Laura. Love you girl!

Unknown said...

Ah yes. I remember the days of being single in Mongolia. I was always asked why I was not married. Here were a couple reasons for marrying a Mongolian: I would improve my lang. skills, I would have someone to fix things in my apartment...etc. How fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura, I love you! You share the light side of what isn't always easy. Thank you -- you can add this notch to your marriage proposal belt -- how many people get a proposal from their future father-in-law? At least, how many in countries without arranged marriages! Mama