Saturday, September 20, 2008

To Africa and Back...

Yesterday marked the 50th birthday of one of the parents at BCA. I was invited to attend a party this afternoon in celebration of that event. As I prepared to leave today I was trying to figure out what to wear and what to bring as a gift. Although I had been told the party started at 3, I planned to arrive 15-20 minutes 'late' factoring in 'African/Romanian time'.

As I arrived at the hotel, it was clear my expectations were different from what was prepared, but I was blessed. The time was spent together worshiping God and acknowledging the good things he has done in the life of this family. Following a time of prayer for the family, there was a part of the 'program' entitled 'Celebrate Together'. Who knew they would clear away the chairs and we would all dance together. And it wasn't ok just to stand by the wall. They clearly wanted full participation. After we all sat down, someone remarked that I was a good African:)

It was amazing to feel God's presence and to worship with a different community of believers. Their faith and love are clearly evident. Wow! It gave me a new picture into the lives of some of my students and it was neat to see them interacting with their church family. God is so good!

1 comment:

Jennifer Poole said...

I can definitely see you being a good African! I bet you fit right in! :) What a fun time.